Associate Manager, Communications
Location: Toronto, ON
Type: Full-time, permanent
Reports to:Executive Director
Salary range: $45,000
Submission Deadline: Friday, October 11th, 2019, 11:59pm
Tapestry Opera is seeking a talented, savvy communicator to join our team! This is a brand-new position!
The Associate Manager, Communications will develop and execute the communications, marketing, and promotions of Tapestry Opera’s brand, seasons, and individual shows. We are looking for a strategic thinker and independent executor who is ready to grow this new position into a leadership role in an innovative, dynamic organization. We’re a highly collaborative team, and this role would work closely with the General Director, Executive Director, Manager of External Relations, and the Manager of Patron Engagement to ensure consistency of tone and message across platforms.
Tapestry Opera is a professional theatre and opera producer and Canada’s most prolific and rigorous commissioner and producer of new opera works. We are driven to not only cultivate new works, but to cultivate new artists and performance practices that positively evolve the genre, tapping into vital and relevant stories and diverse musical traditions as part of our mandate. We are the leading opera company in Canada in performing works by women and artists from diverse backgrounds and believe strongly in progressively reflecting and engaging the world we live in through our works and throughout all of our organizational activities.
We are committed to equity in hiring and specifically encourage people from communities of colour, LGBTQ2S, Indigenous, disabled, and other equity-seeking communities to apply
Things that matter to us:
- You are a driver! You have your eye on your deadlines and are able to work with other staff to help you meet them./li>
- We make art that is socially engaged – you have an understanding or lived experience of principles of equity and anti-oppression, and/or are interested in and open to the process of learning
- You are a highly motivated team player with a keen attention to detail and excellent organizational, time management, and problem-solving skills.
- You have relevant experience in Marketing & Communications (minimum 1-3 years professional experience preferred), with a track record of success.
- You have exceptional writing and communication skills.
- You are analytical and tuned in to new marketing trends.
- You have proficiency with Microsoft Office, WordPress, and basic design skills (familiarity with one or more of the following preferred: InDesign, Publisher, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.).
- You have an interest in, and understanding of, the arts – knowledge of opera an asset.
- You love hats, as in “wearing multiple”, and will play a dynamic role as part of Tapestry’s team.
- Preference will be given to candidates with video and sound editing skills and abilities.
- You are looking for work you’ll love. We do this because we are passionate about it, and we like each other.
What we Offer:
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Flexibility with hours, work-from-home days
- Casual working environment
- Unlimited vacation and paid time off
- Open, transparent, and communicative office culture
- Professional development opportunities
- Office located in a bright, beautiful heritage building in the Distillery Historic District.
- Tickets to all Tapestry productions.
What you will do:
This is a comprehensive but not exhaustive list, in which there is room for growth in particular areas of interest to the applicant. As with any small organization, additional duties as required, within reason and subject to discussion.
- Ensure all communications further strategic goals, adhere to overall communications and branding plan, and represents Tapestry in tone and content
- Ensure a unified image and approach to written communications is used for all Tapestry external correspondence: (newsletters, press releases, information packages, etc.), in collaboration with the Manager of External Relations, Executive Director, and Artistic Director.
- Develop and oversee Communications Calendar, integrating social media, email, and direct mail appeals, in conjunction with the Patron Engagement Manager, Executive Director, and Artistic Director
- Research target audiences and collaboratively develop imaging and key messages for Tapestry’s marketing materials.
- Write/edit all marketing copy; work with Patron Engagement Manager to develop donor copy
- Design and create season brochure, production one-pagers, poster copy, with support from the General Director and Executive Director.
- Manage marketing collateral creation timelines, including video
- Develop and execute social media strategy as part of overall Marketing Plan, including daily and weekly posts on all social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc)
- Oversight of the development of house programmes for each production – ensure timelines are met, acknowledgement agreements met and artists properly credited.
Promotion and Productions:
- Manage and track expenses for Tapestry’s annual Marketing budget.
- Together with Tapestry staff, achieve budget targets for ticket sales and subscriptions
- Identify advertising opportunities and facilitating listings and ad purchases.
- Ensure that marketing materials are documented and/or archived as necessary.
- Find cross promotional partnerships for Tapestry events and arrange for reciprocal marketing where possible (flyer & list exchanges, e-blasts, website presence, etc.).
- Act as key contact for Tapestry’s contracted Public Relations firm.
- Assist with coordination of media bookings, media kits and interview requests.
- Write news releases either in collaboration with contracted Public Relations firms or on behalf of Tapestry (where outside of the PR firm contract) and assist or take the lead on media distribution and follow-up.
- Be available for Tapestry shows, as required for press and donor/sponsor liaison.
- Take the lead on the design, security and maintenance of the Tapestry’s website as well as making routine content updates and support other staff with skills training as needed to enable them to post news relevant to their areas.
- Ensure website information is up-to-date and reflective of current organization and activities
- Develop web analytics, maintain necessary codes and api keys to generate custom analytics and use Excel tools to create infographic enhanced reports on web analytics.
If this sounds like something that you could love, we’d like to hear from you.
Checklist: Please include as one complete pdf file, in this order:
- Cover letter (hint, research the company) on why you’d like to work for Tapestry and why you think you’d make and excellent candidate for this role.
- Up-to-date resume.
If you are invited for an interview, please be prepared to provide two references that we can contact by phone and/or email.
Email email@example.com with your pdf attachment
and include Communications Associate Manager in the subject line.
Submission Deadline: Friday, October 11th, 2019, 11:59pm
We look forward to meeting you!