Location: Toronto, ON
Type: Full-time, permanent
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary range: $35,000 – $38,000
Submission Deadline: Sunday, March 3rd, 2019, 11:59pm
Tapestry Opera is seeking a highly-organized administrator to join our team!
The General Administrator will play a key role in supporting Tapestry’s artistic projects, marketing objectives, and senior staff, and will be instrumental in keeping the office and the organization running smoothly. You love spreadsheets, making schedules, communicating with artists, and contributing to a fast-paced and creative environment. You thrive as part of a team in a highly collaborative and artist-centred organization committed to creating socially engaged, exciting works of art.
We are looking for a detail-oriented administrator who is able to manage multiple deadlines, keep organized documents, and provide support for senior staff at Tapestry Opera.
Tapestry Opera is a professional theatre and opera producer that is Canada’s most prolific and rigorous commissioner and producer of new opera works. We are driven to not only cultivate new works, but to cultivate new artists and performance practices that positively evolve the genre, tapping into vital and relevant stories and diverse musical traditions as part of our mandate. We are the leading opera company in Canada in performing works by women and artists from diverse backgrounds and believe strongly in progressively reflecting and engaging the world we live in through our works and throughout all of our organizational activities.
Creation begins with multiple collaborations at the Composer-Librettist Laboratory (LibLab), where eight writers and composers are introduced and produce sixteen opera shorts under intense conditions. Successful partnerships may result in commissioning new full length works by Tapestry or by other producers. Evolution exists not only in the content and style of the music and text, but also in performance practice. Tapestry Explorations (Tap:Ex) is Canada’s premiere program for the evolution and advancement of opera performance practice and seeks inspiration from other art forms in both art and popular streams.
Things that matter to us:
- You are a driver! You have your eye on your deadlines and are able to work with other staff to help you meet them.
- We make art that is socially engaged – you have an understanding or lived experience of basic principles of equity and anti-oppression, and/or are interested and open to the process of learning
- You are a highly motivated team player with a keen attention to detail and excellent organizational, time management, and problem-solving skills.
- You are familiar with, or are confident in your ability to get familiar with, PatronManager (Salesforce)
- You have a familiarity and ease working with Microsoft Office, Email, Internet
- You have a positive attitude and willingness to learn.
- You are a hands-on implementer with the ability to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- You have an interest in, and understanding of, the arts.
- You are looking for work you’ll love. We do this because we are crazy passionate about it, and we like each other.
We are committed to equity in hiring and specifically encourage people from communities of colour, LGBTQ2S, Indigenous, disabled, and other equity-seeking communities to apply
What we Offer:
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Flexible hours and work-from-home days
- Casual working environment
- Unlimited vacation and paid time off
- Open, transparent, and communicative office culture
- Professional development opportunities
What you will do:
This is a comprehensive but not exhaustive list, in which there is room for growth in particular areas of interest to the applicant. As with any small organization, additional duties as required, within reason and subject to discussion.
- Studio Management:
- Handling all bookings of studio
- Creating rental contracts
- Managing calendar
- Ensuring rentals run smoothly
- Ensuring requirements are met, cleaning is completed, set-up restored (including LX) and that renters have all the necessary information about the studio
- Assist with setup and tear down for Tapestry studio performances
- Before and after inspections for damage deposit return
- Managing studio email
- Promotion of studio (in coordination with Marketing team)
- Artistic Administration:
- Scheduling of artists for workshops, rehearsals, performance dates availability, etc
- Scheduling photo shoots, video shoots
- Booking venues for workshops or rehearsals
- Being on-site for workshops or rehearsals if required
- Preparing for workshops/rehearsal
- Printing scores/libretti if necessary
- Any work that needs to be completed before the SM prep week begins
- Contracting Artists:
- Creating contracts and sending to artists
- Following up to receive all signed contracts
- Submitting to unions as required
- Collecting bios and headshots in a timely manner
- Creating and managing schedule of auditions
- Being on-site contact for auditionees/applicants
- Managing audition/application post, online sign-up process
- Performance Assistance:
- Compiling timelines for deliverables (set design, approvals, etc)
- Creating draft rehearsal schedules for review
- Patron Engagement Assistance
- Box Office:
- Assist with qualifying orders, fulfilling seating requests
- Assist with managing ticket allocations
- Patron Engagement:
- Track and manage RSVPs to events
- Participate in the creation and issuing of e-blasts through Emma online system
- Box Office:
- Office Management
- Management of cleaning company
- Day-to-day management of office space
- Dealing with phone/internet as needed
- Ensuring supplies are kept up to date
- Placing orders/shopping for supplies as needed
- Assisting with prep for meetings with board, stakeholders
- Managing schedule of board room
- Mailing, couriering, shipping as required
- Managing info@ email address
- Managing form responses to ED and AD emails
- Regular paper filing and maintenance of online filing system
If this sounds like something that you could love, we’d like to hear from you.
Checklist: Please include as one complete pdf file, in this order:
- Cover letter (hint, research the company) on why you’d like to work for Tapestry and why you think you’d make and excellent candidate for this role.
- Up-to-date resume.
If you are invited for an interview, please be prepared to provide two references that we can contact by phone and/or email.
Email email@example.com with your pdf attachment
and include General Administrator in the subject line.
Submission Deadline: Sunday, March 3rd, 2019, 11:59pm
We look forward to meeting you!