Tapestry Opera’s 2020/2021 season of innovative opera and music is “immune to cancellation”, designed to withstand the uncertainty of the times ahead. The season will premiere new digital commissions, feature monthly livestreamed performances, invest in development with five commissions by leading theatre and musical creators, and culminate in a FREE, in-person world premiere in June 2021.
Innovative Digital Programming
- live music delivered to Toronto communities with Box Concerts
- A broadcast premiere of the recently digitally-rehearsed Rocking Horse Winner, originally slated for live performance in April 2020
- Monthly livestreamed concerts from Tapestry’s Ernest Balmer Studio in partnership with Yamaha Music Canada
- Newly commissioned works for online video channels
- Recording and broadcasting of Tapestry’s contemporary repertoire
New Operas in Development
This season shows a remarkable commitment to Canadian opera with five commissions in development, partnering with Canadian and international co-producers. Theatre artists and librettists include Hannah Moscovitch, Nicolas Billon, Liza Balkan, Kanika Ambrose, and Mark Brownell. Music artists and composers include Nicole Lizée, Brian Current, Rene Orth, Ian Cusson, and Ka Nin Chan.
A World Premiere
In June 2021, Tapestry Opera co-presents the world premiere of Dragon’s Tale by the award-winning creative team of composer Ka Nin Chan and librettist Mark Brownell, for a free, outdoor production in partnership with Soundstreams. Dragon’s Tale runs June 17-20, 2021. Further details will be announced later this season.
Live Audience Flexibility
Should conditions change for the better to allow people to safely come together, Tapestry Opera will open its livestreamed concert series to invite a live audience and explore larger opportunities for adding a production to this season.
Read full media release here