Type: Part-time contract, 16 hours per month
Reports to: Marketing and Communications Manager and Executive Director
Salary range: $400 monthly
Submission deadline: Monday March 21, 11.59pm (updated)
Start date: March 28, 2022
End date: March 28, 2023 with opportunity to extend
Tapestry Opera is seeking a part-time Graphic Designer
The Graphic Designer supports the marketing and communications team by creating imaginative designs to deliver key messages that translate Tapestry’s artistic vision to a broad range of target audiences.
Tapestry Opera is a professional theatre and opera producer that is Canada’s most prolific and rigorous commissioner and producer of new opera works. We are driven to not only cultivate new works, but to cultivate new artists and performance practices that positively evolve the genre, tapping into vital and relevant stories and diverse musical traditions as part of our mandate. We are the leading opera company in Canada in performing works by women and artists from diverse backgrounds and we believe strongly in progressively reflecting and engaging the world we live in through our works and throughout all of our organizational activities.
We are committed to equity in hiring and specifically encourage people from communities of colour, LGBTQ2S, Indigenous, disabled, and other equity-seeking communities to apply.
Things that matter
- Clear understanding of and ability to communicate principles of graphic design
- Experience of art-working for print and digital formats
- Ability to resize artwork to meet specific guidelines
- Ability to respond to feedback on graphic design and creative ideas
- Knowledge of current practice and trends in print and digital design, such as accessibility, with the judgment to know when adoption of these trends is appropriate
- Strong ability to interpret a brief and translate into artwork
- Brand management and ability to translate key messages into visual design
- Experience of producing short, animated graphics and GIFs
- Strong graphic and digital design and layout (including typesetting) skills
- Ability to take a job from concept right through to the production and specs of a finished item in both print and digital
- Ability to work collaboratively with Tapestry Opera staff
- Able to prioritize multiple projects and deliver projects to tight deadlines when required
- Attention to detail
What you will do
- Create material for print and digital purposes, including annual reports, flyers, posters, signage, social media content and advertisements
- Create design work for departments across the organization including but not limited to marketing and communications, fundraising and development and front of house.
- Create logos and imagery in line with Tapestry Opera’s artwork needs, including designing show artwork and project logos.
- Be Tapestry’s brand champion, with expert knowledge of the visual branding guidelines.
- Manage the design process from interpreting briefs to execution within deadlines set by Tapestry Opera
- Ensure consistency across our visual outputs
Information for applicants
This position is remote, and the designer must provide their own laptop and design software (Adobe Suite, including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat); the opportunity to work from the Tapestry Opera office can be facilitated where available.
This position provides 16 hours of graphic design work monthly; hours may be carried over into the next period if the workload does not meet 16 hours. The designer will complete graphic design work as requested on a weekly basis; urgent turnaround will be communicated a minimum of 24-hours prior to the deadline.
How to apply
Please include as one complete pdf file, in this order:
- Up-to-date resume
- Recent portfolio of your graphic design work
- If you are invited for an interview, please be prepared to provide two references that we can contact by phone and/or email.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your pdf attachment and include Graphic Designer in the subject line.
Updated Submission Deadline: Monday March 21 2022, 11.59pm
We look forward to meeting you.