New Opera 101 is a masterclass intensive for emerging singers and collaborative pianists, culminating in our Songbook concert showcase.
Participants are assigned contemporary Canadian repertoire, individually curated from Tapestry’s forty-year history of developing and producing new works. Singers and pianists prepare and refine their repertoire, expertly coached by professional concert clinicians in three days of masterclasses. The performers then showcase their work in a concert performance, Songbook, alongside the expert clinicians.
This year we are thrilled clinicians Jorell Williams (baritone) and Jennifer Tung (conductor) will lead our masterclasses, along with Artistic and General Director of Tapestry Opera, Michael Hidetoshi Mori.
Visit our New Opera 101 page for more information about past clinicians.
How to apply
New Opera 101 invites emerging artists who are currently enrolled in, or have completed, a bachelor level performance degree, to expand their repertoire and learn from some of Canada’s leading interpreters of new opera.
Please apply via our application form. Potential applicants are required to supply:
- Why you’re interested in taking part in New Opera 101
- Up to five examples of your experience performing contemporary music, including repertoire, performance year, date of composition and composer name
- Two recorded examples of you performing (ideally relevant repertoire)
- A headshot
- Curriculum Vitae
New Opera 101 applications: important information
The New Opera 101 program fee for 2022 is $200 (+ applicable processing fees). If your application is accepted, you’ll be prompted to a payment link where you will have 48 hours to secure your spot by paying the program fee.
All applicants must be fully vaccinated to take part in New Opera 101, with their third ‘booster’ vaccine due to be administered before March 7.
- Monday March 7th: Rehearsal/self-prep with repertoire (Ernest Balmer Studio will be available to participants)
- Tuesday March 8th – Thursday March 10th: Masterclasses (10am – 5pm)
- Friday March 11th – Saturday March 12th: Rehearsal during the day with performances in the evening.
If COVID restrictions make a live concert with an audience unfeasible, we will perform at a reduced capacity, or consider a livestream presentation.
If you have any questions about the application process, eligibility for the masterclass, or vaccination status, please contact Tapestry’s Artistic Administrator, Joey Lau at firstname.lastname@example.org.